Thank you for using BnBuyit! Your trust is important to us and we’re committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. The information that’s shared with us helps us to provide a great experience with BnBuyit. We have a dedicated privacy team that’s committed to protecting all the personal information we collect and help ensure that personal information is handled properly worldwide.
- If your country of residence is the Canada the Data Collector is BnBuyit Canada Incorporated.
- If your country of residence is the United States, the Data Collector is BnBuyit USA Incorporated (“BnBuyit USA”).
Applicability to Payments
Please see the Contact Us section below for contact details of the Data Collectors and Payments Data Collectors.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are three general categories of information we collect.
Information You Give to Us.
Information that is necessary for the use of the BnBuyit Platform.
We ask for and collect the following personal information about you when you use the BnBuyit Platform. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an BnBuyit Account, we require certain information such as your first name, last name, email address, and Contact Phone Number.
- Profile and Inventory Information. To use certain features of the BnBuyit Platform (selling or renting items), we may ask you to provide additional information, which may include Item description, price and quantity available.
- Identity Verification Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, we may collect identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license, as permitted by applicable laws) or other authentication information.
- Payment Information. To use certain features of the BnBuyit Platform (such as selling or renting items) we may require you to provide certain financial information (like your bank account or Paypal information) in order to facilitate the processing of payments (via BnBuyit Payments).
- Communications with BnBuyit and other Members or guests. When you communicate with BnBuyit or use the BnBuyit Platform to communicate with other Members or guests, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
Information that is necessary for the use of the Payment Services.
The Payments Data Collector needs to collect the following information necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable law (such as anti-money laundering regulations). Without it, you will not be able to use Payment Services:
- Payment Information. When you use the Payment Services, the Payments Data Collector requires certain financial information (like your bank account or valid Paypal account information) in order to process payments and comply with applicable law.
- Identity Verification and Other Information. If you are a BnBuyit Host, the Payments Data Collector may require identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license) or other authentication information, your date of birth, your address, email address, phone number and other information in order to verify your identity, provide the Payment Services to you, and to comply with applicable law.
Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the BnBuyit Platform and Payment Services.
When you use the BnBuyit Platform and the Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information about the services you use and how you use them. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, to enable us to comply with legal obligations and given our legitimate interest in being able to provide and improve the functionalities of the BnBuyit Platform and Payment Services.
- Geo-location Information. When you use certain features of the BnBuyit Platform, we may collect information about your precise or approximate location as determined through data such as your IP address or mobile device’s GPS to offer you an improved user experience. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu. BnBuyit may also collect this information even when you are not using the app if this connection is enabled through your settings or device permissions.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the BnBuyit Platform such as the pages or content you view, your searches for Listings, purchase or rentals you have made, and other actions on the BnBuyit Platform.
- Log Data and Device Information. We automatically collect log data and device information when you access and use the BnBuyit Platform, even if you have not created an BnBuyit Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the BnBuyit Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the BnBuyit Platform.
- Do Not Track Signals. While you may disable the usage of cookies through your browser settings, the BnBuyit Platform currently does not respond to a “Do Not Track” signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application due to lack of standardization regarding how that signal should be interpreted.
- Payment Transaction Information. BnBuyit Payments collects information related to your payment transactions through the BnBuyit Platform, including the payment instrument used, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date and billing postcode, PayPal email address, IBAN information, your address and other related transaction details. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and BnBuyit Payments and to allow the provision of the Payment Services.
Information We Collect from Third Parties.
BnBuyit and BnBuyit Payments may collect information, including personal information, that others provide about you when they use the BnBuyit Platform and the Payment Services, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the BnBuyit Platform and the Payment Services. We do not control, supervise or respond for how the third parties providing your information process your Personal Information, and any information request regarding the disclosure of your personal information to us should be directed to such third parties.
- Third Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to your BnBuyit Account with a third-party service (e.g. Google, Facebook, WeChat), the third party service may send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information from that service. This information varies and is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Background Information. For Members in the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, BnBuyit and BnBuyit Payments may obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations. For Members outside of the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required, BnBuyit and BnBuyit Payments may obtain the local version of police, background or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Enterprise Product Invitations and Account Management. Organizations that use our Enterprise products (such a BnBuyit for work and programs with property managers and owners) may submit personal information to facilitate account management and invitations to use enterprise products.
- Referrals. If you are invited to BnBuyit, the person who invited you may submit personal information about you such as your email address or other contact information.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or information to help detect fraud and safety issues, from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results (with your consent where required) or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the BnBuyit Platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
Our websites and applications are not directed to children under 16 and we do not knowingly collect any personal information directly from children under 16. If you believe that we processing the personal information pertaining to a child inappropriately, we take this very seriously and urge you to contact us using the information provided under the “Contact Us” section below.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use, store, and process personal information to (1) provide, understand, improve, and develop the BnBuyit Platform, (2) create and maintain a trusted and safer environment (such as to comply with our legal obligations and ensure compliance with BnBuyit Policies) and (3) provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing.
Provide, Improve, and Develop the BnBuyit Platform. We may use the personal information to provide, improve, and develop the BnBuyit Platform such as to:
- enable you to access and use the BnBuyit Platform,
- enable you to communicate with other Members,
- operate, protect, improve, and optimize the BnBuyit Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research,
- provide customer service,
- send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications,
- if you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection,
- to operate, protect, improve, and optimize the BnBuyit Platform and experience, and personalize and customize your experience (such as making Listing suggestions, ranking search results), and facilitate claims with our Host Guarantee, Host Protection Insurance, Experience Protection Insurance or other similar host protection programs, we conduct profiling based on your interactions with the BnBuyit Platform, your search and purchase or rental history, your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit to the BnBuyit Platform, and
- enable your use of our enterprise products.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in improving the BnBuyit Platform and our Members’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment. We may use the personal information to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment such as to:
- detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide),
- conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background or police checks, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required,
- comply with our legal obligations,
- Resolve any disputes with any of our Members and enforce our agreements with third parties,
- enforce our Terms of Service and other policies, and
- in connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the BnBuyit Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to the BnBuyit Platform, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes may restrict or suspend access to the BnBuyit Platform if such processes detect activity that we think poses a safety or other risk to the BnBuyit Platform, our community, or third parties. If you challenge the decisioning based on the automated process, please contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in protecting the BnBuyit Platform, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing. We may use the personal information to provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing such as to:
- send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences (including information about BnBuyit or partner campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google),
- personalize, measure, and improve our advertising,
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by BnBuyit or its third-party partners,
- conduct profiling on your characteristics and preferences (based on the information you provide to us, your interactions with the BnBuyit Platform, information obtained from third parties, and your search and purchase or rental history) to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you,
- enrolling in an email subscription will not affect the frequency of administrative emails that we may send in connection with any BnBuyit Account. No fee is charged for sending promotional emails to you, but third-party data rates may apply. Note that you may not be able to take advantage of certain promotions if you do not have an BnBuyit Account, and
- invite you to event and relevant opportunities (for example, when you share your Host story, we may use the information provided to reach out to you to invite you to relevant events).
We will process your personal information for the purposes listed in this section given our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest.
How the Payments Data Collector uses the Personal Information Collected. We may use the personal information as a part of Payment services such as to:
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Detect and prevent fraud, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations).
- Enforce the Payment Terms and other payment policies.
- With your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences.
The Payments Data Collector processes this personal information given its legitimate interest in improving the Payment Services and its users’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable laws.
SHARING & DISCLOSURE
Advertising and Social Media; Sharing with Your Consent.
Where you have provided consent, we share your information, including personal information, as described at the time of consent, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your BnBuyit Account or when you participate in promotional activities conducted by BnBuyit partners or third parties.
Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal information about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote our products and services or the BnBuyit Platform. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be if your interest.
The social media platforms with which we may share your personal information are not controlled or supervised by BnBuyit. Therefore, any questions regarding how your social media platform service provider processes your personal information should be directed to such provider.
Please note that you may, at any time ask BnBuyit to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to opt-out@BnBuyit.com.
Sharing between Members.
To help facilitate purchase transactions or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information, including personal information, with other Members, as it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, as follows:
- When you as a Guest submit a purchase or rental request, certain information about you is shared with the Host (and Co-Host, if applicable), including your profile, full name, the full name of any additional Guests, your cancellation history, and other information you agree to share. When your purchase or rental is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the trip, like your phone number.
- When you as a Host (or Co-Host, if applicable) have a confirmed purchase or rental, certain information is shared with the Guest (and the additional Guests they may invite, if applicable) to coordinate the purchase or rental, such as your profile, full name, phone number, and Accommodation or Experience address.
- When you as a Guest invite additional Guests to a purchase or rent, your full name, travel dates, Host name, inventory item listing details, the Accommodation address, and other related information will be shared with each additional Guest.
We don’t share your billing and payout information with other Members.
Compliance with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protection of our Rights.
BnBuyit and BnBuyit Payments may disclose your information, including personal information, to courts, law enforcement, governmental authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with a valid legal request or to respond to claims asserted against BnBuyit, (iii) to respond to a valid legal request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability (See more information on BnBuyit’s Law Enforcement Guidelines ), (iv) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service, the Payment Terms or other agreements with Members, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of BnBuyit, its employees, its Members, or members of the public. For example, if permitted due to the forgoing circumstances, Host tax information may be shared with tax authorities or other governmental agencies.
These disclosures may be necessary to comply with our legal obligations, for the protection of your or another person’s vital interests or for the purposes of our or a third party’s legitimate interest in keeping the BnBuyit Platform secure, preventing harm or crime, enforcing or defending legal rights, facilitating the collection of taxes and prevention of tax fraud or preventing damage.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon BnBuyit’s property, its Members and the BnBuyit Platform. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we may attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
BnBuyit and BnBuyit Payments uses a variety of third-party service providers to help us provide services related to the BnBuyit Platform and the Payment Services.
For example, service providers may help us: (i) verify your identity or authenticate your identification documents, (ii) check information against public databases, (iii) conduct background or police checks, fraud prevention, and risk assessment, (iv) perform product development, maintenance and debugging, (v) allow the provision of the BnBuyit Services through third party platforms and software tools (e.g. through the integration with our APIs), (vi) provide customer service, advertising, or payments services, or (vii) process, handle or assess insurance claims or other similar claims (such as claims under the BnBuyit Host Guarantee). These providers have limited access to your personal information to perform these tasks on our behalf and are contractually bound to protect the personal information and only use the personal information in accordance with our instructions.
BnBuyit and the BnBuyit Payments will need to share your information, including personal information, in order to ensure the adequate performance of our contract
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other anonymized information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, research, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Analyzing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the BnBuyit Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, analytics, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your messaging communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
These activities are carried out based on BnBuyit’s legitimate interest in ensuring compliance with applicable laws and our Terms, preventing fraud, promoting safety, and improving and ensuring the adequate performance of our services.
Managing Your Information.
You may access and update some of your information through your Account settings. If you have chosen to connect your BnBuyit Account to a third-party application, like Facebook or Google, you can change your settings and remove permission for the app by changing your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up to date.
Rectification of Inaccurate or Incomplete Information.
You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you (and which you cannot update yourself within your BnBuyit Account).
Data Access and Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request certain copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
Data Retention and Erasure.
We generally retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and to comply with our legal obligations. In certain jurisdictions, you can request to have all your personal information deleted entirely.” Please note that if you request the erasure of your personal information:
- We may retain some of your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend an BnBuyit Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that BnBuyit Account to prevent that Member from opening a new BnBuyit Account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, BnBuyit and BnBuyit Payments may keep some of your information for tax, legal reporting and auditing obligations.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the BnBuyit Platform, even after your BnBuyit Account is cancelled. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Additionally, some copies of your information (e.g., log records) may remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because we maintain the BnBuyit Platform to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing.
If we are processing your personal information based on your consent you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your Account settings or by sending a communication to BnBuyit specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing pursuant to Section 6.6 and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of BnBuyit override your own.
Objection to Processing.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require BnBuyit and BnBuyit Payments not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing BnBuyit and/or BnBuyit Payments will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing, or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes, you may, at any time ask BnBuyit to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to opt-out@BnBuyit.com.
You have the right to lodge complaints about our data processing activities by filing a complaint with our Data Protection Officer who can be reached by the “Contact Us” section below or with a supervisory authority.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use to protect your information are firewalls and data encryption, and information access controls. If you know or have reason to believe that your BnBuyit Account credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your BnBuyit Account, please contact us following the instructions in the Contact Us section below.
- For persons whose country of residence is the Canada: BnBuyit Canada, Incorporated, Legal Department, 468 Wellington Street West Suite 200, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5V-1E3. For payments-related matters BnBuyit Canada, Incorporated, Payment Department, 468 Wellington Street West Suite 200, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5V-1E3.at 8AM UTC: BnBuyit Payments, Inc. 650 7th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA.
- For persons whose country of residence is the United States: BnBuyit USA, Incorporated, Legal Department, 468 Wellington Street West Suite 200, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5V-1E3. For payments-related matters BnBuyit USA, Incorporated, Payment Department, 468 Wellington Street West Suite 200, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5V-1E3.at 8AM UTC: BnBuyit Payments, Inc. 650 7th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA.
Last Updated: August 4, 2020